Saturday, August 14, 2010

Creamed Corn: Treat gets Tricked

Creamed Corn (candy variety): Found: November 2, 2009, 3:30PM: New York, NY.

Long before the appearance of the Fallen Hero, Dubs and I came across this little train wreck somewhere on 4th Ave. above Union Square, I knew I had to document it. I said surely it had slipped from the torn corner of a stuffed pillowcase carried by a costumed youth two nights prior to our discovery. We agreed, there was a story here.

As we drew nearer to the squashed candy kernel, I felt as young Gordie LaChance ("Stand By Me") must have felt as he and his came-of-age gang finally reached Ray Brower's mutilated-train-struck body. (Except my older brother wasn't dead, I wasn't packing massive heat, and I'd never had a leech in my underpants. Also, I would never tell Kiefer Sutherland to suck my fat one.) This formerly conical candy corn had been run down, indeed made nearly one with the asphalt by some passing automobile, an automobile, dear readers, that like a freight train in the night, did not stop.

We headed home and although many thoughts raced thorough our minds, we barely spoke. we'd only been gone for two days but somehow the town seemed different, smaller. 

No comments:

Post a Comment